Friday, June 18, 2010

Matchday #8 - World Cup 2010 - CBC Announcers' words/phrases

Who would have guessed at today's scores? Not me!

Hello Germany, even with ten men we didn't expect you to lose. Serbia keeps surprising us. Good for them! And England? As one announcer clearly stated "Wakey, wakey...". Unbelievable. I have little else to say.

Today, I was out during the games and so I had to be on 'radio silence' so I wouldn't accidentally hear the final scores before I could watch the games. So, yes, that was me in the car with my hands over my ears singing "La, la, la, la." so I wouldn't hear the radio announcer blurt out the results. I take my football very seriously folks.

Football Announcer words:

1) "Wakey, wakey." - To wake or to wake up is what is being referred to. You might go softly into someone's room in the morning and say, "Wakey, wakey." as a gentle way to tell someone it's time to wake up. In this case, the announcer was suggesting that the team was playing so poorly that they looked sleepy. It's not a polite statement, but it isn't very harsh either. You could say to someone at work, "You forgot to answer your email again. Wakey, wakey." but only if you have a prior relationship. You would never say this to your boss because it could be taken as a criticism and not just a gentle reminder.

2) Nil, nil. - "Nil" means zero and we use it most commonly in competitions. "The game is nil, nil at the half." You would not use this expression to tell someone you don't have something. You wouldn't say, "I have nil cash in my wallet.", you would say, "I have no cash in my wallet."

3) He "launched" the ball forward. - To "launch" something means to "start", "set off", or "throw". In this case, the announcer is talking about a ball that is kicked very far or long. We use "launch" when we talk about a rocket starting to fly, a new product being introduced to the public, or throwing / kicking something very far.

4) The referee has been slightly "harsh" with his decisions today. - "Harsh" is equal to "rough". Another way to say this is "The referee was not kind with his decisions during the game.". The suggestion is not that the referee wasn't fair, only unforgiving. We can use "harsh" to describe; a boss who won't allow personal calls at work even when your wife is about to have a baby, a very hard or difficult season ("It was a harsh winter."), or even when someone says something strong about you ("Hello, one leg." "That was a very harsh thing to say to someone who just broke their leg.").

One day, my sister and I were hurrying to get on a train. We got there in time to sit down and watch a  teenaged boy (about 14) running up to the train door just as it was closing. He was very upset and we prepared ourselves for the curse words (swears or bad words) we expected him to yell out. He reached the closed door, stamped his foot and said "Harsh!" Nothing more was said. We were very surprised and impressed that he chose not to curse. That day I added "harsh" to my list of words to use when I am upset.

Let's hope tomorrow's football is better than today's was.

No comments:

Post a Comment